Saturday, August 13, 2005

Purpose Statement

I've tried doing this before. I never end up quite satisfied with what I end up writing, or with the whole thing in general. Truth be told, I always feel like I'm being inauthentic when I write stuff for other people to read. Last time I found myself trying to make some kind of statement about whatever it was that was going on in my life. I thought it might not end up all preachy and stuff. . . . but it did. It's not that I'm against being preachy, it's just that if I do end up that way, I hope that I at least might not mind listening to what I have to say. The last few times I tried to come up with a blog, I didn't particularily like reading the stuff I had just written. So, maybe this time will be different, who knows? Maybe I'll erase it all in a week.

Last time it was probably doomed before I even started. If one wants to do a blog, you have to start out by thinking up a clever name for it. I hate the entire concept. I may not be the most humble guy out there, but to come up with some flattering name for myself or my writings feels (at least to me) to be an extremely conceited activity. The only names I feel comfortable with answering to are generally the one may parents gave me, or a nickname I received from friends. I would think it pretty ridiculous to give myself a name and expect others to call me by it. But since I don't really want my legal name on a blogsite, and I never seem to keep nicknames for very long (at least the ones I like) I find myself in a weird spot. What should I pick? What is it that sums me up? What word could I limit myself to? I could go on, but a friend of mine stole this topic from me so I'll let you find his site to read about it.

Basically, I've given up on the idea of screennames (at least on their ability to serve as an identity), and I don't plan to give you much of a purpose statement here with my opening remarks. If you read this, you're going to get some random ramblings that emerge from my day to day life. Some might be profound, some might be trite, some might be mature and some might reflect that I'm 23 and know basically nothing. But, with this blog, I refuse to get bogged down by some thesis that I will eventually be inconsistent to if I have any hope of being honest in what I'm learning about life. So, if you're cool with ambiguity and not having me in a box with the contents listed on the outside, read on . . and I hope my experience meets with yours somehow. It'd be cool to chat and get each other ready for the road ahead.

1 Comments:

At 3:13 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

Well, whatever you do, dont erase it in a week...although the thought crossed my mind a few times...to erase my own blog...not yours. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home