Wednesday, May 02, 2007

. . . and stuff

- advice: should you ever find yourself caring for old sick people, and you know a nasty thunderstorm is on the way, run. the other night i had one patient rip out an IV and a fully inflated foley catheter (avoid mental pictures), another 90 year old delerium patient was making attempts at breakdancing while fully restrained with a vest and wrist restraints - she assumed I was the telephone repair man and questioned me on the intricasies of making long distance calls from the phone booth in the corner of her room, a few rooms away another patient was clearing her GI tract for a morning procedure . . . let's just say I cleaned the floor a lot . . . my hospital prefers to not pay for enough housekeeping, thus I am also a liscenced maid. oh the joy is mine . . .

- brownwood officially sucks

- i woke up today to my house shaking violently in a 30 minute thunderstorm, my street is kind of built on top of what would otherwise be a creek, so in times of heavy rain it makes a great river. I waited for a while, but when you need a caffeine fix, no mere rushing torrent can hold one back, can it? I think not.

- on a positive note, the lake is back up to a healthy level, my uncle took me out the other evening on their new wake-boarding boat. it was quite fun, lake brownwood is actually a pretty awesome place.

- i led worship for the community church i inconsistantly attend the other night. it was good. their regular leader had gone to the invisible children deal down in austin, so I was filling in.

- i have paid off close to half of my school debt. that's nice.

- lately I have no drive to be a nurse. not that I plan to quit since i'm still too in debt to do anything else. we've had really high acuity patients lately which has made it fairly miserable to work on my floor. i wonder if this is really what i want to do long term. the other night i think God was saying something like it will be good in the long term, and i'm just hitting the inevitable difficulties of being new at something.

- i really want to travel. I realized today how much it sucks not to have summer vacation.

- lately i've been driven to begin living more simply. i think i've begun feeling the weight of owning too much stuff. i've realized how it's much better to hold on only to what you need and what you love, and to let everything else go.

- i've had lots of thoughts lately on spirituality. i'll probly write a blog on that soon.

- i like my mandolin.

- if you haven't listened to The Format yet, you should for the sake of world peace and the ecological betterment of southeast asia . . . but more so just because they're amazing.

- i think summer vacation starts next week for the college kids here . . . this means I will probly be the only person within 50 miles between the ages of 20 and 35.

- i attempted to grow mint for tea last year but my balcony faced directly south and the plants never grew much, and after i grew tired of watering them they quickly died one hot july day. now my porch faces more east giving my new mint plant enough shade, in 3 weeks it easily doubles the size of my previous attempt at gardening activities.

- not shaving is the best decision i have ever made. . . . . . . . . . . seriously.

- i'm debating if i want to move back to dallas at the end of the summer.

ok, that should do for now

2 Comments:

At 8:57 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

I laughed out loud reading your first little paragraph. Camille told us a couple nights ago that at work that day she had to clean out some old guys fully impacted rectum...with her fingers (she wore three pairs of gloves at once, she said.)
I am glad that while Brownwood officially sucks, Lake Brownwood does not.
My mint is not doing too well. Shrug*
My basil is, though...
I was planning to email you today and tell you that we miss you and think about your a lot. Your parents mailed T and I a gift card to the Macaroni Grill for helping you move. So NICE! Ill have to send them a thank you, thank you card :)

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

it is your rectum right? i hope i didnt get that wrong...how emabarrasing :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home