Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Magnificent Understanding

For those of you who were wondering at the motivation for my last few posts, I've been reading this book that attempts an ecumenical dialogue between Christianity and Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. That's why I've been posting on them. I'm up to the final section on Buddhism now, but I have been reflecting a lot on something I learned in the Hinduism section, which, at least to me, seemed quite profound.

Hindus see all living creatures as vessels of spiritual substance. Whether cat, dog, bird or human, if it moves (and in some cases even if it doesn't) it is considered to be what we would basically think of as a "soul". For them all souls are in some sense equal. They are all subject to the "laws of existence" which amount to what we know as karma. This does not mean that all share an equal role, or that their individual lives are of the same value. Thus, not all Indians are vegetarians, because at least for some, their role as human includes eating some forms of meat. But, if one is seeking complete purity, one will try to eat as little meat as one can stand. This is why a tiger can kill people for his whole life, and still manage to not attain bad karma for every time he eats. Though, should a tiger kill an infant human say, then he has obviously stepped outside the limits of his role. Ultimately, all living creatures are seeking the same salvation: to no longer be separated from the Divine Ocean, finding peace in the fullness of Brahman.

Notice in this system that spiritually the animal kingdom is also in some sense "eternal". This could be why to some degree, at least until very recently, the Indian population has shown a much greater respect for the ecological integrity of our world. Where all good "Republican-Christians" would assume it ok to exploit all of the world's forests in the name of bigger mansions for the rich and powerful, Hindus would rather leave the wildlife with a home than chance being reborn as a monkey with no home at all the next go around. Is it any wonder that in America our liberal, ecologically-conscious "hippie" friends would emphatically choose the Bhagavad Gita for their kids to read over the Bible?

But, back to what I found to be profound . . . .
In Hinduism, humans are not different by God's proclamation. Nor does Hinduism does not make humanity distinct based on its cognitive ability. This sets them apart from Western forms of anthropological philosophy. Decartes' rationale of thought being the foundation of being does not apply in the Eastern world. In the east they would agree that we are animals that think, but that is not what sets humans apart. For though tigers and snakes may think differently, they still share the same consciousness, and the same spiritual matter. And, should their karma in the next life raise them to human level, they are capable of having their consciousness tell them of their past lives - even if it was as a butterfly who has no mind at all.

No, instead, humans are different for one reason: they sacrifice.

At first this is a deep meaning that can easily be lost, yet think about it: What other species seeks to communicate with that which is above it? Do chickens sacrifice to us to save their lives? In some ways other species may identify themselves with humans by being domesticated. Yet, none of these would seek such a relationship where they would attempt to appease us. No goat about to be slaughtered would make you some jewelry to sway you to spare it. Yet, this is what humans do. They seek to understand the gods (God) in order to achieve some kind of say in their own destiny. Humans seek to understand the laws that possibly even govern the gods themselves: karma . . . or if you're Christian: love!

Humans are not privilaged as some pinnacle of evolution. We are privilaged because we, more than even the gods themselves, have learned how to communicate for our own sake, and for the sake of anything we choose to care for!

And, maybe here, Jesus has something to offer Hinduism! A deeper understanding of sacrifice! I think without question that the faiths of India are on to something we need: a new concern for the world that we are responsible for. I think our flippant attitude toward the ecological responsibility that we own is a history for which Christians should be deeply ashamed. We need to repent openly, and join the ecological cause that we should have championed all along. Yet, for what we can learn from Indian religion, I think we can also offer an even fuller understanding of what sacrifice is. Sacrifice beyond altars and shrines. Beyond festivals. Beyond animal sacrifice. Beyond monetary contributions. Jesus and the disciples that followed after him offer a greater understanding of how to communicate with God. Instead of funneling our surroundings toward him, we start from within. Self-sacrifice is the primary way to win God's favor. Self-sacrifice is the way to alter ones destiny; to alter humanity's destiny. As we seek to make things as they should be, we serve our brother and sister, and therefore serve the God that is in them.

I think Hinduism's concept of God has taught me much of what it means for God to take on the sin of the world. I see that if God prevades everything, and is the breath in us (atman), then our pain is his pain. I see in Jesus, God teaching us what it is to communicate back to him: not sacrificing our externals as mere smoke to a distant God in the sky, but instead sacrificing our very essence to a God present in the face of our hopeless neighbor. The blood of sheep and goats doesn't cut it - that's not real communication! Instead as a disciple of the One who showed a better line of communication, as a member of a body/church that God himself cannot distinguish from the man who walked the shores of Galilee, I communicate with God by healing the sick, by freeing the oppressed, releasing prisoners, and caring for the uncared for. I know God, I talk to God, I walk with God - all to the degree that I work to redeem the broken humanity that he has incarnated himself in.


I wish that I could say I live up to the magnitude of what I feel at writing this post, but I don't. I've been one who has gotten caught up in the back-biting and bitterness of human existence so much that I fail to seek God in those I am around daily. I am humbled by what God has revealed to me. I hope that soon I will begin to understand more than just the theory of these truths, but have faith that becomes real in action. I hope to find or be found by a community who share this as their passion. I hope that this kind of discipleship goes beyond Sunday school theory and watered-down, pseudo-Christian consummerism, and becomes something beautiful worthy of the name of Jesus, and worthy of the redemption and salvation that we will be blessed contribute to, and experience.

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

Joe, a beautiful mind....
i really do think this is my favorite post to date! Now, we can go to India...I feel equipped!
the things you say about, well, creation, is something that has intrigued me over the last year very much. Why would God talk about the rocks and hills crying out...about a new heaven and new EARTH...about healing the land...if there wasnt something to what the Hindu people understand about the world that we do not.
Also, your last few paragraphs where you talk about God incarnating himself into a broken world, or I beleive you said, humanity...is very emotional for me...i appreciate what you said there.
i watched most of the movie Luther last night...wow. you dont happen to have a copy of the 95 thesis laying around your bookshelves do you?
love

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

oh, and i emailed this post to my dad...for some reason.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home