Friday, May 05, 2006

Todd's Question

"At what point (if at all) should we expect, attempt, demand that our friends follow the way of Jesus?"

Now, I'm not stupid enough to think this is really a question that I can give a sufficient answer to, especially in the confines of this blog. Obviously there is no way we can answer this in an 'across the board' fashion. Still, the primary question here in return is: what exactly is 'the way of Jesus'???

Jesus' life was centered thoroughly on the Kingdom of God. To be his disciple is ultimately to be a citizen of that Kingdom. The two ideas are synonymous. Certainly one can't help but see that Jesus' call is to follow him. He does not give us a book of precepts, or a religious system to follow. He does not leave his disciples with an ideology. He simply offered himself. His life was the example. He spoke in parables; I don't believe purely because he wanted to be contextual, but more because he wanted to offer a teaching that transcended legalism and doctrine. Yet even in this bold self-estimation, he never manipulated accolades from his disciples. He would accept their praise, but did not expect it. Peter confessed him as Messiah freely of his own volition. The Roman centurion called him Son of God as a belief he arrived at. Yet to say that Jesus expected to receive such titles would be out of line. He side-stepped such glory. Remember, we should call God good, not Jesus.

So, yes, Christians follow the Christ. But what does that mean when he says things like this:
"What do you think? There was a man with two sons. He said to the first, 'Go and work today in my vineyard.' The first answered, 'No', yet later he changed his mind and went. Next the father went to the second son saying the same. That son said, 'Sure, I'll go', but never went. Which did what the father wanted? Truthfully, traitors and whores are choosing the Kingdom of God before you are." Jesus uses this to call the hearers to repentance, but do we really think responding to an alter call is repentance? No, working in his vineyard is repentance. Doing his will as he asked us to is repentance, regardless of what we may say.

Or consider when Jesus says, "Whoever welcomes a child in my name welcomes me, and therefore the One who sent me. For like the child, the least among you are the greatest." His disciple John unsure then said, "Um, we saw a guy the other day driving out demons, and told him to stop, because he wasn't one of us . . ." Jesus replied, "Don't do that, if he's not against you he is for you."

What does this mean? First, consider this, the Jewish understanding doing something 'in the name of', can be said in the same vein as doing it in the 'spirit of'. Good works are not ruled out by the lack of the Jesus stamp. If people do works in the name of Muhammad, they can still be in the spirit of Jesus. Futhermore, even if one rejects what I just said, it still applies that if he is doing good, at least to that extent, he is on our side. The fact is, in the Kingdom no one should be controlled by evil. So, the Christian, Muslim, and secular humanist, can all serve the same side by driving out demons. I sure hope we have moved beyond the idiocy of thinking God would rather someone remain oppressed and impoverished than let an agnostic peace worker help them out of their situation. This reminds me of Luke 17:20 which recalls Jesus being asked by "spiritual people" when the Kingdom would finally show up. Jesus replies, "Watch the news, listen to gossip: neither will work. The Kingdom is already here, among you, in your society." When we get exclusive, we waste our time waiting for God to come into our world, when truthfully he's never left. And, when Christians fail to do the work of his Kingdom, we find atheists doing it to our shame.

I talked to a friend the other night. She expressed a disdain for an agnostic social worker she had met in Russia when she was doing mission work there. Her basic gist was that the guy she met, was trying to add meaning to his life, by doing good works. His life had no meaning until he went abroad doing good. In my mind though, that is from God. He is serving God's Kingdom and doing God's will in ignorance, to my shame if no one else's. I find it sad that such people have to search hard for meaning, without the wisdom of religious truth to help. Yet I also find that meaning which would satisfy me with a spectator religion that benefits only its own adherents to be a lie. Personally I find secular humanism to be superior to consumer Christianity. It serves God better.

And this brings me back to where we stated (sort of). If I see someone living for the Kingdom of God, I think they are following the way of Jesus, even if ignorantly. I believe that Jesus as the Son who lived more completely by God's will than any other person who has walked the earth is unquestionably a better guide and savior than any other religion or philosophy. But, that is my faith, and it is not a prerequisite for my relationship. Jesus' will is to do God's will. As best as I can tell God desires that his all-encompassing Kingdom would be resored, and in it all things would be made new. If someone is working toward that, then we may not be brothers, but cousins at least.

8 Comments:

At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
I'm kind of feeling you, but I'm not sure I'm all the way there yet.

I'm confused about the context of the great comission in the light of ecumenicalism. For what reason are we to make disciples if everyone who is attempting to do good is a follower of Christ?

I think every example we have of someone becoming a disciple involved some kind of active change in their way of thinking. Jews became followers of Christ. Greeks became followers of Christ. So yes, they looked different, but they shared a similar understanding purpose.

This is a difficult subject, and one which I must claim significant (if not complete) ignorance.

 
At 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Joe, but I wonder how far one can take this. Certainly, those doing good in this world are doing the work of God if only for the fact that God is the source of all goodness anywhere. So, my question is, & I am not setting any kind of trap or attempting to be argumentative, what implications does this have on the typically held Christian belief that one must proclaim faith in Jesus for salvation? I'm not sure that you were making any allusion in regards to salvation, but I thought some of your readers might have some good thoughts on the matter. Excellent thoughts.

 
At 7:20 PM , Blogger Joe said...

Todd - I didn't mean to go so far as to imply that in doing Kingdom work somebody is automatically a disciple. I don't believe that. But, I also don't believe I can treat other faiths as though they subject to purely evil forces. Ecumenicalism does not require that we give up our faith as uniquely true, but it does expect that be humble enough to realize that others have experienced truth as well. The goal of it is not to say 'we're all ok', but to allow us a mutual influence on each other for the good. The criteria for evaluation then, at least in my eyes, is the Kingdom of God. That is the grounding force for me. The other aspect of your question I guess, as Sam pointed out, is related to salvation, and I'll have to tackle that later. Good questions though, yall are actually making me think.

 
At 9:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with the whole truth thing (talk about a summary!). I think we've spent too much time trying to eradicate other religions, a useless, pointless exercise.

I also think we spend too much time dividing between the saved and unsaved. I never want to get into an argument about who is going to heaven and who isn't ever again.

However, at some point, repentence and commitment to Jesus needs to happen in a person's life. What that looks like in a Buddhist context, well, I don't know.

I like this thread...I hope it continues!

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Joe said...

Yes, but, let's say an upper-caste Hindu at some point turns from the caste system, and devotes (commits) his life to serving the untouchables. He lives his life in a manner of genuine self-sacrifice even in the face of death threats from his former friends . . . is this kind of repentence and commitment ruled out by the lack of "Christian" motivation, or could it be that God, through the Spirit, and in the spirit of Christ, is leading this man to do such a thing?? My point is not to say Jesus isn't necessary, or that this guy in some way need(?) to know Christ, but to say that even in remaining Hindu, he may be more "Christian" than he realizes. I say all that to point out, that for me as a Christian, my first goal in making him a disciple may be to show him how in line with Jesus he already is: to show him his common ground with Jesus, and as he identifies his prior religious experience with Christ, then after that, to let him further understand the continual repentance that Christ calls all of us to. Or, I could say, the idea is, not to set up Christianity as an opposing religious system, but to first show Christ as their teacher, then later as Savior, then Master/Lord, and finally in the end as Son of God.

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

but cousins at least! lol i like that.

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

amen to showing others what common ground they already share with Christ! AMEN!!!!!!
"There is no other name by which we are to be saved".... therefore, I am a Christian and not Muslim or Buddhist... but, this may be about the only part of this whole deal that we get right most of the time. God save me from the day that I cease to realize God and his truth is everywhere...I can learn about him everywhere. I can keep piecing this thing together.

 
At 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Missionaries aren't called to "bring God to Godless places," they're called to point out what God is already doing to people who may not be able to see it.

(Credit Rob Bell for saying something very similar in Velvet Elvis.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home