Saturday, July 22, 2006

In Search of Questions

My Greek professor at Harding started out our studies by pointing out that Greek would not answer any of 'issues-oriented' questions we had. All of us hoped that the syntax of the language would clear up all the doctrinal lines that we wanted to have layed down in stone. We were sick of wondering if our church was actually doing things right, and all of us had the illusion in our eyes that perhaps Greek would give us the ammunition to prove the Baptists wrong. Our professor denominationally loyal as he was, still informed us that this would not be the case. We all stared with eyes glazed over so as to ask, "then why the heck do we need to learn it?" Then came the annoying yet wonderfully true words, "Studying will not answer your questions, so much as just teach you to ask different ones."

I think my whole education, and all the reading I've done since has shown that to be the case in life. Rarely if ever do we get answers to the things we assume are important. I used to think it a crucial question to know whether instrumental worship music was wrong in God's sight, or whether baptism was essential to salvation. A few years later I'm amazed that so much of my thought was controlled by questions that I now feel are utterly ridiculous.

I spent my early years as a Christian with all my questions focused on God's plan of salvation, which was broken down into 5 easy steps resulting in a lifetime of church attendence and mediocrity. Or, I was focused on preaching the word, gaurding the truth, and spreading the good news across the world. Yet, I never thought much about humanity as a whole. I never probed into God's emotion toward poverty and isolation in human existence. I never thought to question the fragmentation of families, societies, or our world at large. I was so focused on church and what I perceived to be 'Truth', that I never asked questions of the true nature of Love, or the true mission of Jesus, or even of the character of God.

I never knew what questions to ask. Years later I look back on my former concerns and feel disgust at the triviality of them.

"The gospel . . does not simply provide an answer to our human quesitons, but even transforms this human, all-too-human, questioning. It is a criticism, purification and deepening of human requirements."

I'm amazed that a few short years ago I thought the mission of God consisted of imploring people to sexual morality, church attendance, general propriety, and not cussing. I think for the past year I've been awakening, perhaps bitterly, to the reality of how far I have been from understanding the true call of the gospel, as though its essence consisted of some moral decency and not something far more demanding. I've been learning that I was focused on the wrong questions. I think in a lot of ways I'm searching for new ones.

Maybe despite all the ambiguity I have towards Jesus, I feel quite confident that he knew what questions to ask. I don't get the impression that he wasted much time focused on the wrong things. He's definitely my Lord in that: I can search all over, but not find a mind or life as purposed as his was toward the right things.

4 Comments:

At 2:42 PM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Joe, I couldn't agree more. I think spirtuality can turn dark really quick when people's questions of God dont' evolve, but remain stagnant and boxed in. I read a book called the gospel according to Moses. And the author was a Christian who spent a lot of time with Jews, he said the thing that challenged him the most was their ability to question God in everything. They refused cliches and fought for the kind of relationship that doubted, challenged and wrestled with what kind of God Yahweh was. Good post.

 
At 5:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, great post. I think that you are on the right path. I, too, for so long, got all wound up in a few "doctrinal" issues and missed the point. I was checking off my doctrinal checklist (baptism-check, etc) and was well on my way to a boring, empty Christian life. Finally, I started attempting to seek after what God wanted for me and those church issues became secondary. I still don't know all the answers to those issues, but I know Jesus better. And that is making all the difference. What's that verse that says if you are still unclear about something, God will show you (papaphrased)? Anyway, until those things are shown to me, I'm assuming that the answer is knowing Jesus better. I don't always comment, but I enjoy all your posts even if I'm thinking where does he come up with this stuff?

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Joe said...

Thanks Maynard, glad my randomness blesses you.

 
At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a question, why haven't you blogged in a week? Waiting . . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home