Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Our Trojan Jesus

Image is important to the majority of us. We want to convey the right image. We choose our clothes and hairstyle to give off the right image about who we are. If I could afford it, I would wear Banana Republic crap all the time so people would see that I'm intellectual, cultured, slightly laid back, and independent. I shop at Old Navy and do my best to replicate such attire to show people who I am. . . . or maybe just who I wish I was.

Movie stars pay millions to convey the right image. They get bored, so they spend millions more to change their image. They buy houses and cars to contribute. No expense spared to show who they are . . . or who they want people to believe they are.

Maybe that's why God says not to make an image of him. For one, it's fake and everyone knows it. Second, it's confining; as though the God of the universe could fit nicely into some pithy saying, or could be summed up by an earthly creation.

I think one of the most universal images is Jesus. We parade around pictures of a fair skinned Caucasian wearing a toga, sporting shoulder length hair and a 3 month old beard (trimmed, ironically). He's always clean, evidently Jesus invented bleach as he's the only one in pictures who manages to keep his robe white. This is also a good sign that he never worked hard as anyone who's attempted to get mud/dirt stains off a white shirt even with bleach could tell us. Basically he skipped the whole carpenter thing and went into management.

And, all the world learns from this is our values, but definitely not those of the man of Nazareth. The world can learn our American/Western values quite well from this image. Appearance is everything, which is why Jesus obviously spent so much time combing his hair, as the pictures of his gracefully flowing locks display. Jesus was very hygienically minded; again he was never dirty. This reveals his consumer work ethic: do as little as possible and get paid for it. Oh, did I mention he's white. That's an obvious value as well.

So . . . here's where I'm going with this, if this is what the world sees when we witness about Jesus; not a practicing Jew from Nazareth, but the plastic epitome of Western values, what are we of the evangelical persuesion convicted we should convert them to?????

I'm pretty convinced that the plastic Jesus is a Trojan horse. We send missionaries around the world to get people to bow down to the plastic Jesus that we've created in our image. When they ask valid questions about our faith we speak louder, trying to drown them out. We attempt to use coercive arguments so that they are trapped in our pseudo-Christian, Western paradigm. We ask them about sin and salvation, which we have pre-defined for them. Remember earlier posts: he who defines the terms, wins the argument. We do all this quite often with honest intentions. But the end result is another heathen bowing down to our plastic Jesus, who is devoid of anything divine.

I've read a lot of books on pluralism recently, and for all it's ills, I will say, at least pluralism is an environment in which the graven image of our plastic Jesus' don't fair well.

I'm reading another book encouraging us toward ecumenical (inter-religious) dialogue. The book is discussing the objections to such dialogue: it requires a "lack of convictions" and an openness that compromises the nature of faith. I think these are objections of lazy people who have found their security hiding behind a plastic Jesus. I think that faith that fears it might be dissuaded to such an extent that it aggressively rejects all discussion that could provide a challenge to it, is no faith at all, but only a form of idolatry. We craft an image of what it means to follow Christ by employing cheap marketing strategies and cheesy images that only reveal how we've lost our connection to Divinity. Anyone who experiences the Divine will automatically understand the concept of true art so lacking in all commerical appeals.

Convert. Con = opposite. Vert = line. A convert is one who makes a 180. Who turns from the direction they are walking and walks a different direction. At this basic level it appears that one could convert from eating fast food or smoking. I find it funny then that we say that one needs convert to Christianity to be saved. They must walk the opposite way on the line toward this faith system . . . one which it appears Jesus himself did not exactly endorse. That's right, we need to go out and turn people around so they walk towards the plastic Jesus.

Or they could walk toward the man himself . . . and what would they do when they got to him? Probably converse with and follow him . . . oh, right, we also call that dialogue.

Jesus did a lot of that. He dialogued with Jews, Samaritans, and Gentiles of a wide variety. He didn't tell them to adopt his belief system. He simply talked with them and challenged them. I would point out one story where he speaks to a Gentile woman and compares her to a dog not worthy of his miracles . . . it appears our Savior was human enough to have prejudices, yet in talking with the woman his notions of Jewish superiority were challenged in that she had more faith than any of his religion. . . . hmmm, what could that say to Christians??

If Jesus were to talk to a Buddhist, I wonder what ways he would have been challenged in? and if it's possible for him, what does that mean for me? In talking with a Muslim, I obviously would desire that he know Jesus: if he doesn't know Jesus, then how can he challenge and be challenged by him?

I also find it funny that I have found an awesome way to remain unchallenged by Jesus, it's called Christianity. I hide from Jesus behind the plastic image I've made of him. The truth is that pluralistic dialogue stands a good chance of proving to me that the religion I've held up as the model for all, is actually quite far from the man to whom it refers and originates from.

This is what I've come to see in so much of our evangelism: a way to make people good, secular, Americanized, pseudo-Christians, but not to allow them or myself to be engaged by Jesus. Then I might realize how lifeless this plastic figurine of faith truly is, and be forced to stand in the frightening presence of a man who's got a few questions for me, who might point out to me the horrid direction of a few of the lines i'm walking it. I've also realized how cowardly it is to use our plastic faith to hide from the pertinent questions that other religions would ask us: questions which might also oppose some of the directions I've chosen.

If I truly follow Christ, I will ultimately walk in the midst of people of faiths different than mine. I will see that he does not demand they become like me, but only offers them food for thought on how life could be different. There is no imperialism in Jesus' wake. If the Roman centurion was still a pagan when he walked away, then should I assume it should be different today when I encounter people of other religions? Why not instead try something more modest: conversation. No hiding inside the Trojan horse of what we call Christian faith. Instead the frighteningly vulnerable position of standing in the open with no image to enshroud us, but an openness that hides neither our insecurities nor our strengths.

6 Comments:

At 8:57 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

i believe a lot of this in my heart. jesus challenges me within my christianity, though. i do know that...
i have to say that i do not think the conversation that jesus had with that woman when he "called her a dog" was revealing any prejudice jesus had...or that he was surprised at all by her faith.(maybe not really) i think the pharisees were within ear shot (they were right there with him in the section of scripture before) and everything jesus said (and that woman cuaght on to this as well) was for their benefit. it was really very smart.
there are many things to think about this passage but as for me, right now, thinking that jesus had jewish prejudice against this woman and would call her a dog (someone who was coming to him) doesnt line up with the way i see him treating anyone else (like him or not) that came to him.
im glad you say we shouldnt ask people to come be like us. i do think we should engage in conversation and learn (ecumenically or however you spell it:) from people whose faiths are different...i do also think though that even when jesus let people walk away from him unchanged (seemingly) he wasnt just "giving them food for thought"...or at least i dont think that is the only thing he was going around trying to do..
i do think that there can be a lot more of that done on the part of christians today...just love, worship..serve...give people food for thought if you will just allow them to encounter Jesus through you which, by Gods grace that is even possible.
im rambling...i think the thing that set spurred all of this was when you said that, it made jesus seem unintentional or something...like what he was offering was incidental in some instances...
i know thats not what you meant at all...taking it in context with the rest of your post...
anyway, somehow that scripture in Acts that says that jesus is Gods son and there is no other name by which we must be saved fits into all of this...im still trying to figure out how exactly.
love

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

Ha! The very next blog I went to this morning had this excerpt posted. written by Christopher Wright -

“Can the West be re-evangelized? Only if we unlearn our default ethnocentric assumptions about “real” Christianity (our own) and unlearn our blindness to the ways Western Christianity is infected by cultural idolatry. It may be more blessed to give than to receive, but it is often harder to receive than to give. That reverses the polarity of patron and client and makes us uncomfortably aware that what Jesus said to the Laodicean church might apply to us in the West: “You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked” (Rev. 3:17).”

 
At 7:52 AM , Blogger Joe said...

. . . if Jesus was fully human, then I think it's completely possible that he had prejudices. In fact I doubt that a human has ever lived who was not prejudiced in one way or the other. I'm ok with people disagreeing with my take on the story in question . . . it all depends on one's view of Jesus and his nature. I don't think Jesus being prejudice questions his divinity really, just like when my grandma says semi-racist comments, I don't assume she is an evil person. That's just part of her being human. The mark of a sinful person is not prejudiced, but hardness of heart that clings to that prejudice when it is called out. For this reason I have no problem see that Jesus the Jew, who grew up in a Jewish family, a family situated in the fundamentalist 'Torah-belt' of Israel, in all likelihood had some prejudices against Gentiles in Samaritans. But, these were not hateful tendencies, only stereotypes like most of us have which were proven wrong by a Gentile woman(!) of greater faith than the Jews.

It's one of several different ways that one can interpret the story, but I don't think that I'm wrong in any way for believing that Jesus could and did have a Jewish bias to his worldview.

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

and he was fully God...

and it doesnt seem consistant to me to think that Jesus was prejudice...it seems like he was teaching.

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

i see what youre saying though...thanks.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Joe said...

The dogma that says 'fully human, fully God' really cemented at Nicea 300 years after Christ's death and rising. It's not biblical, and by that I mean to say it is foreign to the minds of the earliest Christians. If anything, in the NT, we have a window to what the earliest Christians had expereinced and were going through. I don't think Peter or Paul had any concept of Jesus' nature being "fully human and fully divine". That is a metaphysical, doctrinal issue that took 300 years to arise and come to a head at Nicea. I dont automatically mean to say it is un-biblical, or opposed to the Bible, but definitely to say that it is a line of thought that is foreign to it.

Jesus' disciples, it seems to me, encountered a man first. Those disciples who gave their lives to him struggled from introduction until their own deaths attempting to understand this 'man'. I don't think it was until Jesus' death that they were faced with such a difficult dilemma of understanding who he was. I dont think it was until this struggle of interpretation that they began to attribute him any form of divinity. It was even longer as his historical memory began to fade, and all that was left was the mythical figure significant to the community that shared his name that people would call him God.

I don't feel I can make that leap. I can see God in Jesus, working through Jesus in a purely unique way. But, that is not the same as assuming God and Jesus are fully the same. God is God. Jesus is the one in whom we can see God acting, uniquely in history. Jesus holds a character that is perfectly in line with God, but I do not think that makes him perfect in the sense of having none of the limitations that mark us as finite humans. I think Jesus was very finite. The ONLY infinite is God, YHWH.

And, part of being finite is being prejudice. Not in the warped pop-culture use of the term. Prejudice does not mean one is evil, it means one is limited and their understanding is limited, and therefore they assume things are certain ways when in fact that may not necessarily be so. In this sense I think Jesus could have prejudices, for in my opinion, if he was not limited then all of our talk of "fully human" is garbage.

Had Jesus rejected the Phoenecian woman and refused to see God working in her, and outside of his preconceived notions of whom God worked for, I think we could say that Jesus was acting out of God's character. But, in simply having an assumption that YHWH was working for Israel, I don't think we can say that Jesus was sinful.

Take Acts for example. Does God come to Peter out of nowhere in a dream and give him a harsh condemnation for thinking Gentiles were unclean? No, it's only after Peter rejects the message of the dream that God gets a little perturbed. I don't think Peter was sinning in thinking Gentiles were unclean, but in maintaining that they were even when God adamantly is telling him otherwise.

Yet, Jesus did not need to hear God raise his voice, but instantly could see the fingerprints of God in the situation of the Phoenecian woman. In fact I think it was the Spirit's voice speaking through her, and Jesus recognized it and obeyed, where the rest of us might have been content to assume she was an unclean Gentile and avoided her.

I can see in Jesus an openness that he teaches me in this story. Even when I think I know better to look for God speaking in the voice of people I would assume are opposed to him. Or instead, I could assume he's got omnipotent, x-ray, "world"vision - and his divine nature gave him an instant analysis of the situation whereby he saw a perfect teaching opportunity and a chance to show off his awesome "I'm God skills". In which case, he may be a good comic book character, but he's far from anything I could see as an example to striving for the character of God.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home