Thursday, February 19, 2009

Studentianity

Homily:

I have been forcibly converted. I now reluctantly practice two religions that I can't decide how much I believe in.

A while back a friend of mine had showed me a link to an article about some random African country where they had introduced a trillion dollar note. Inflation had progressed to the point that you needed a trillion dollars to buy a sack of rice. Meanwhile I go to a school where it is necessary to earn a 3.94 GPA to attain high honors. If one makes a 3.93 then one is deemed to have attain mediocre honors. I imagine a 3.9 is necessary for regular honors, but they don't talk about that as they would rather not admit that such a level of stupidity actually exists.

Grade inflation. One of thousands of examples of the complete absurdity of modern education.

This last week I survived my first round of tests with two A's and two B's, the latter driving me to the edge of suicidal despair(in the educational sense . . .chill). I know how ridiculous this is. Why the hell should two B's mark the end of my scholarly life. Yet here is my new religion, one which perpetually proves that no one is good enough except for those who have allowed the university system to consume their soul in its entirety.

Basically I'm just tired. Tired of one damn hurdle after another. I came back to school because I wanted the skills to help people, but instead I've obtained an assortment of arbitrary knowledge that allows me to reduce tangible reality to a math equation. Behold the University! The great fountain, effusing joie de vivre.

In other words, I've decided that the Messiah had better come soon, else I take the first escape route I can find. (new major: pyramid scheming . . anyone care to lend me some money to "invest"?)

In the name of the Professor, the Textbook, and Holy Competition.
Amen.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the excellent grades. It's good to read from you again.

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Hey glad to have you back! Grade inflation huh? Never thought of it like that. You know what kept me from honors? Dr. Myers. Also my inability to study on weekends. Glad you are online again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home