Friday, February 17, 2006

communal revelations

Last night was pretty cool. My closest friends and I got together to hang out and take communion. I was only half coherent after finishing up 24 hours of clinicals in less than 48 . . . it's been brutal the past two weeks. Still, it was really cool. I feel that God revealed a few things too me in the midst of my community:

- 1 Corinthians 11:17-34. I've heard this verse countless times throughout my life. Typically it was being used in true "proof-text" fashion, isolating one paragraph from another. I would hear 23-26 used by themselves constantly apart from the rest of the chapter, to guilt people into a reverant state of mind before you took you stale flake and quater shot, and began your anticipation of post-service lunch. Last night it finally stuck out to me how horribly that rips this passage out of context. 23-26 are sandwiched between passages emphatically emploring the Corinthian church to wait on all members before beginning the meal. Therefore I don't think we can act as though Paul is just being scatter brained. The meaning of 23-26 is tied to the greater context of the section. The idea is: we are the Body of Christ. Each church constitutes the incarnation of Jesus Christ. Therefore when a few members begin the meal and consume most of it without waiting on all the members to arrive, they are not showing respect to the very Body that gives them life. They are taking the meal "in an unworthy manner" and it is sinful. Quite literally they are acting just like cancer, hording nutrients to themselves while other parts of the body starve, killing the body by their own selfishness. v. 29 "For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself." The body is the local gathering we are apart of. We are to recognize that our life is dependent of the whole body: we will die apart from the community that we exist in. We are to recognize each other, and the equality that we share. We are to show respect for all, and wait to begin our meal out of respect. As all share equally in the grace of Jesus, all should have equal opportunity to be sustained by his body and blood, and share their joy of being his disciple with the rest of the body. It is in this way that cliques are at least kept in check, that natural human dividing lines (race, social status, politics) are challenged, and the Body of Jesus becomes a place of reconciliation, forgiveness, and acceptance. It ties in perfectly with chapters 12-14 that follow.

- and that's what made it so cool to realize that last night. A friend brought the passage up out of the blue to think about, and on my own I don't know if I would ever have focused on the passage long enough to arrive at the thought. I'm also not sure that anyone else in our group would have taken that kind of initiative to focus our minds on Scripture. In other words, last night I started understanding the differing roles of various members of our group. I like leading, but not being a 'front man' so to speak. I hate getting things started, but once they are started I love to help channel them in new and different directions. Last night I got to see my gift of 'theology' be used in a community setting. I felt like I was discerning my place. It was also interesting that some things were said that I honestly had significant trouble accepting. My own experience felt in conflict with what others were claiming to have experienced. But, that was ok. I realized that in being open, even if doubtful, it is ok if I was not on the same page with others in my group. We're still a body, and the Spirit will guide me to truth. I am filling my role as God has placed me where I am purposefully, and he expects of me only to do what he has equipped me to do. It's relieving to know that I can be myself in the context of a community dedicated to him, and that is actually what pleases God most, because in that was I am being exactly what I was created for.

- I realized that I contribute depth to what might otherwise be shallow. I've found that I actually enjoy being the second man in line: I like supporting people who are leading the way. (though I have to respect them first) I also realize how I like working with people on the margins. I definitely enjoy people who are dealing (openly and honestly) with doubt and struggles, especially as that requires new solutions to old problems.

4 Comments:

At 9:51 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

this is very special, joe. i love you...i think i will read this again...

 
At 10:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm... :) yeah... :)

especially second point...

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

oh, how much safer we have become for one another...ya know? you just said that it is ok to be openly honest about not being on the same page with everyone on the group..."back in the day" there are those who wouldnt have felt like that was ok...not really. i look forward to this thursday :)

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger Todd Ramsey said...

Community is wonderful. The original church didn't have the same singular focus on individual study and discernment that we seem to have in America. They studied and communed as a group. We are blessed when we take advantage of community.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home