Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Hegemony

Hegemony . . . . huh? This is a word that I had avoided for quite some time until a few days ago. On plenty of occasions in books past, I would read past it. I never took the time to figure out what it actually is. Leave it to Walter Brueggemann to fix that. I'm reading a book he wrote on preaching. For the record, I have long felt that preaching is a pretty absurd activity. For the seeming billions of hours of sermons I have listened to, there remain only a precious few that I was on any level transformed by. I typically find sermons a way to fill the air and time, but I find their ability to effect the congregation very limited. I say all this to point out that it is odd to me, and I'm sure to those who know me well, that I would read a book on preaching. So far though, Brugg is pointing out pretty much everything I have hated about preaching my whole life, and offering some alternatives.

Hegemony is one thing about preaching that to me results in its worthlessness. I imagine most people probably agree without realizing it.

Hegemony is a term for the norms that the "majority" adhere to: social, cultural, economic, and intellectual. It is the influence of conformity a society has over everyone. Even "non-conformists" in America are forced into some semblance of conformity. Consider: why is it that all punk-rock kids look the same? Why is it that with our society growing increasingly tolerant of everything, that somehow that is slowly resulting in everyone looking just like everyone else? Why is it that in high schools, jocks, punks, skaters, band geeks, etc, all can unify around picking on the one kid who because he can't afford to shop at the mall, can't afford to identify with a social clique? I remember being a skateboarder growing up. The number one way to show everyone you were a skater, was not to be seen skating, but to dress a certain way: make sure your jeans were sagging, you wore a baggy shirt with a skateboard logo on it, have big, suede, heavily-padded, "skate" shoes. This was the means to prove your identity. No one cared much if you could skate or really even owned a board. Originally some group of guys in California were too stoned and apathetic to care what they were wearing, and these guys happened to be pro skaters the trend is set. Now, if a kid wearing a sweater and tight fitting jeans was seen with a skateboard he was automatically despised as a poser, even if he was better at the actual sport than anyone else in the state. Skating didn't make on a skater. Looking like a skater made on a skater, whether they actually skated or not.

Let's go with an example familiar to most. One shows up to church. Carries a Bible that they don't read or care to understand. They attend as is suggested by the "religious" gurus of that church. Yet they would stare, utterly baffled if asked about their sense of intimacy with God. Or, let's imagine one of the millions of "good Christians" in our country who assume that the Bible expects one to not only avoid adultery and murder, but more importantly demands they vote Republican, never question the president, value safety as the highest of Christian virtues, and expect wealth as the measure of one's approval in the sight of God. Justice is a "mean" word for them. It is circumvented by Grace. Hooray Grace.

In this context the "good Christian" happens to be someone living comfortably within the white picket fence of the American dream. They cause no problems, nor fix any. They are nice as can be, so long as everything is made superficial, and allows them to remain in subtle yet complete self-absorption. It is tame Christianity. It never rocks the boat. It always lends a helping hand to those who have no need for a helping hand. It cherishes segregation and flees further into the suburbs when integration appears inevitable. It values random acts of kindness as a way out of intentionally being kind. Ultimately it is a faith of lotus-eaters who sedate themselves with materialism and lies so as not to be faced with the massive task before them. This is hegemonic Christianity. It is syncretism.

I find the attitude of church in America asks how can we be cutting edge without really calling out and opposing the narcisistic tendencies of our culture. How can I get drunk on worldliness and still walk the strait and narrow. I find that preaching tends to play to this attitude. After all, the preacher, too, has a mortgage. To defy hegemony would initially imply the loss of his own house in the suburbs. And maybe that's not what we need. I imagine if a preacher were to call out the evils of American society we would label him a fundamentalist and hire someone new and optimistic.

I think what we need more of is individual Christians who don't presume to judge Americanism, but live out a life that explains without words the worthlessness of hegemonic Christianity. Christianity is meant to have greater influence than it does. It is meant to scare people. It is meant to give dignity to those who have been deprived of it. It is an activist faith. It is meant to be a force that terrifies the dominant culture . . . not one that gives it a high five and says "Jesus thinks you're awesome."

I am far from being this kind of Christian. Largely because I'm selfish. Largely because I've hardly ever seen Christians who have modeled it. The only ones I've seen living it out are those who have resided in other countries for large portions of their life. Maybe that's what it takes to break the lotus-like spell that it seems like all of us are under. Maybe, but I hope not. I know that when I read books that challenge this mentality, I see how far I am from being like Jesus. I also get a glimpse of how good it would be if even a few of us lived with his heart of Justice, Mercy, and Sacrifice.

Hegemony is the propaganda of America, enticing us away from the Kingdom. The choice is clear, though hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home