Thursday, August 10, 2006

I didn't make the team

I grew up in Plano. People are rich there. My highschool had 3600 kids at in my junior year . . . for two grades. So, at this school needless to say, it was no easy task to get on a varsity team. I solved this problem by rejecting the idea of team sports when I was in sixth grade. Go me, with all my rebelliousness. Anyway, with the hundreds of kids at our school who didn't make the cut for a varsity team there was a solution: the lacrosse team! Now make no mistake, I have the utmost respect for the game of lacrosse . . . it's just that Plano is in Texas. And, Texas is hot. So, when you combine lighter weight football pads, a soccer field, and a sport where you are expected to run really fast while getting barraged by titanium poles attempting to sever your hands from the rest of you, with 90+ degree heat and large quantities of ozone filling the air, most parents don't sign their kids up. Then there's Plano, where skinny white kids don't stand much opportunity to see any Friday night lights. So they play lacrosse instead.

I on the other hand had rejected sports in general, until I sobered up (literally), and found some respect for athletic endevors my senior year. That to say: I didn't even make the lacrosse team. Sad, indeed.

Still, I carried this hope of being like the lacrosse kids off to college with me. Then I realized that my college was in Arkansas . . . they've never heard of lacrosse in Arkansas. Or, so I thought, until I realized that our school pulled in an inordinate amount of yankees. My crushed dreams sprang to life. Now, I had no real clue of how to play lacrosse. I did pick it up, but I knew in my heart I was never going to be very good. I also picked up some nasty asthma attacks after hard games, and realized if I were to really commit to traveling to be part of the team my grades were going to begin to suck. Still, I tried for a while . . . and now having not touched a lacrosse stick in three and a half years, I wonder . . . . what the heck was I thinking??

I did enjoy the game occasionally, but let's be serious here . . . I'm not competitive, nor really mean . . . and I still live in Texas, where it is still too freaking hot to play lacrosse. So, why did I spend three semesters commiting myself to this idea? Because basically it was a community. Now I must say, not all, but lots of the team were morons. They carried the same idiotic jock metality that I think turned me away from sports in middle school. Yet, for a while, I still lived with the high school clique mindset, where I wanted to part of a group that was cool.

I think God used that. Though I still look back with some regret at what amounted to a general waste of time, I do see the contrast between the lacrosse team (as well as my social club) and my closest group of friends. Between a group who's uniting factor was atheletic competition, and a group centered around God and his will for the world.

It took me a long time to perceive that. I spent so much of my early adulthood trying to distinguish between what matters and what doesn't. I think I only truly came to make that distinction because of the way God connected me to that group of people. I remember when we all first came together, thinking that I could never consider them my closest friends, and only months later realizing that the people I had assumed previously I was close to could never begin to match the intimacy I had seemingly stumbled upon in this group.

Maybe lately I've noticed how that such "stumblings" are the furthest thing from chance. That's what I've been realizing about community, it's more than just a benefit of serving God, but actually comprises the deepest core of God's will. God's desire is to connect that which was never intended to be separated. Surely between he and us, but I believe every bit as much between each other.

I've begun to understand the ideal that humanity was always intended to be. A race of people, united in spite of such wonderful diversity. If only we could first notice a contrast between the sweetness of community formed around God opposed to the petty allure of alliances built around other purposes. I've been humbled too at how fragile community can be, and how costly to maintain. Yet I also wonder how much the world would be changed if we could somehow pay such a price, and even in community drifting apart, how much could be changed if we carried such a spirit with us everywhere we go?

7 Comments:

At 9:47 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

fragile and costly. yeeees, i agree. good words.
i remember the first time i realized you were playing lacrosse with the hu team. i was like...hm. cool. didnt know that.
i also remember the first time the group came together. at that point you were pretty much like, 'they can come with me to china if they are up for it...but, whatever.' ha ha ha.
now, i know that the Lord sustains us (or at least t and i) through you as well as the other way around...and i am so thankful.
maybe it is costly to maintain, but thank God for all of the little ways he makes for us to give up ourselves...to sacrifice. what if we were left to all of our own devices to find ways to sacrifice? so much is built in...and it is great to see them as blessings. thanks joe. love, k

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that God used, if not caused, the breakup of Camille's and my seemingly blessed relationship. The onset of the subsequent lonliness forced me to look for community, and ultimately led me to our church. The most interesting part is this: the community I had with all of you played a large part in allowing Camille to see something in me and our future, and convince her that our story wasn't over. Somehow that community had made me better in her eyes. I think we are all made better by community. God indeed means for us to commune.

 
At 11:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, and of much importance, just because there are some things that Arkansans don't do, doesn't mean that we aren't aware that these things exist. I'm well aware of lacrosse, Thai food, female circumcision, and quiche but I ain't a wantin' to be no part of none of it no time soon. Now that this matter is resolved, I identify with your blog. My school was much, much smaller with a whopping 31 graduates and I still couldn't make the team. I say "the team" because there was only one--basketball. Actually I quit in 9th grade because I sucked. That, and I resented the fact that my community and school elevated athletes to a higher social status. In rebellion, I led a campaign to get as many people to quit as wood and tried to make it cool to not play basketball. It worked for a semester (after the season was over), then they almost all abandoned me a crawled back to the team in time for the next season. I think God must be sending messengers to speak to me about community because all of my Christian friends and readings are yelling this at me. Where I get hung up is I ain't good at church. I'm not good at God Bless You's and shallow I'll pray for you statements and How is you walk with God and Now, let's all hold hands and pray. I'm from backwoods conservative c of C where the youth group topped out when we went to Pizza Hut after Sunday night church. We didn't devo (verb) and church camp. We didn't freak out if somebody dropped a cuss word. So upon arriving to HU, I was appalled at the right-wingness of it all and found most of my "community" to be those misfits like myself. Anyway, I just realized that I'm using your comments page selfishly as a blog of my own. Ooops. For real though, I enjoy your posts. --Maynard

 
At 9:56 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

and i enjoy YOUR posts, maynard...

 
At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

where would I be without all you guys? who even knows! geez...sometimes I wonder and sometimes I just accept. in my wondering though, I'm always thankful for where he's directed and moved. He has blessed me soooo much with THIS community. I constantly am thankful for His plans for us...and just us, together stregthening, loving, and supporting one another.

thank you for this blog.

 
At 11:32 AM , Blogger KSullie said...

You have been tagged....

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Joe, I was well aware of when you were playing Lacrosse, mainly because I lived next door to you in the dorm, and my wall was the one you chose to practice bouncing the ball off of and catching, at all hours of the day. You were definitly a different person then Joe, it's cool to see how much God has transformed you in the last couple of years. By the way we need to hang out this week, I need my Joe time, any off time this week? By the way did you notice how Maynard put Lacrosse and female circumcision in the same category?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home