Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Satan, etc.

When I was in college I took a seminar in the Old Testament with one of the few liberal professors who taught at my school.  Rumors had circulated to the inquisitive collective of Bible majors that he didn't believe in Satan.  Thus, I recall spending close to 30 minutes every week, participating in the group attempt to corner the man into stating this possibly blasphemous belief.  Fortunately, he was much smarter than us; we could never coerce him into a blatant denial of the devil's existence.  Lord knows we tried.  He always dodged the question and tried to point us to literature that represented respectable scholarship, which I imagine a dismal percentage of us ever consented to read.

He did manage to incite enough interest in me to be tormented for years following with the desire to know.  Such was my downfall.  

I've read a few of the things that he might have possibly pointed me to earlier had I really cared to know rather than be told.  So, here's my reply to the question I asked so relentlessly.

No.

First let's lay out on the table that the word Satan is used very sparingly in the OT.  In all such cases, it carries the connotation of an accuser or a prosecutor.  Never the personification of all evil.  There are a few other terms, such a Belial, which come closer, but never amount to God's great antagonist.  The OT has no category for a being that represents the inspiration of evil.  There is that in the world which fights against God, but it's story is never so important as to be told.  It is just an existential fact that there is evil that opposes God, but therefore the important thing is siding with God.

Second, I think it of vast importance to say that snakes are snakes.  Why you may wonder?  Because, goes the reply, the serpent in Eden was just that:  a serpent.  There is no direct equation in the OT that Satan entered Eden in serpent form to tempt man.  This was to become the assumption later . . . much, much later, but the story of the Fall has no "evil force" responsible for Eve's temptation.  The fact is that the ancient mind was fascinated by the fact that snakes appeared to sit around, still, all day long, and with a little venom managed to survive . . . that takes some craftiness.  Keep in mind these stories are contrived by shepherd who chase sheep around all day to make a living.  The serpent of Eden is just as likely to represent the craftiness of human intuition by which we deceive even our very selves.  There is nothing in the narrative that advises us to assume Satan has an affinity for reptilian manifestations.

When reading the OT through an historical lens, it becomes apparent that originally faith in YHWH attempted to diminish faith in all other demigods and spiritual beings.  It appears that the spiritual proponents of faith in YHWH had in mind to compromise the very existence of such lesser gods.  The hope was to leave faith in YWHW alone and no others.  Yet outside such circles belief in lesser spiritual beings persisted in Palestine.  

In the Exile, Israel faced many significant theological challenges.   Both in witnessing the wholesale slaughter of massive portions of Palestine by Assyrian and Babylonian armies, which had obvious traumatic effects.  The question of theodicy (how can an omnipotent God be justified in the face of evil?) became much more pressing to those who would propose that YHWH remained the one true God.  No longer was evil a matter of minor malevolent forces, but now it was major force that for all appearances could rival YHWH himself.  How could this be reconciled to their theology?  Israel found itself simultaneously confronted with Persian/Babylonian religions, primarily Zoroastrianism.  This religion had a much more dualistic view of the world and saw the cosmos divided between good and evil equally.  It is in returning from this context that we begin to hear Judaism give more and more credit to the concept of Satan.

Around 200 years before Christ we begin to find the ideas (for instance in Chronicles) that Satan is the adversary of Israel.  Not God, but God's chosen people.  The idea that God could be opposed by any was still largely denied.  It appears that around 180 B.C.E. was when this began to change.  First with the advent of the anti-messiah Antiochus IV, the man who sacrificed a pig on the alter of the temple.  In other words, the man who openly defied and opposed God in front of God's people.  This combined with their suffering lead to an increased viability for the idea of an "Adversary" who opposed YHWH himself.  Satan is born.

By the time Jesus was born, Satan with his extensive hierarchy of sub-demons were simply an accepted part of the contemporary worldview.  As I've written before I think Jesus was completely human and fully enculturated to the worldview of his people at his time.  With such a mindset I think sparring with Satan was a viable idea of his time.  He certainly wasn't foolish for thinking such things, as even the most educated frequently believed such ideas.

I just don't think with our modern understanding it's something we can truly believe in anymore.  I fully believe in the reality of evil as an experience of humans resulting in the loss of their dignity and the opposition of wholeness.  I just don't believe that there is a personified form of this evil.  I believe that the realm of the 'spiritual' is so subtle and unknown that we could identify things as the work of angels or demons, but to me this is just assigning a symbolic name to a human experience.   If someone chose to explain it by atoms and molecules and synapses with neurotransmitter levels I don't think they are wrong to do so.

For people who have no taste for modernity as a way of understanding the world, I don't know that I think of it as my quest to convince them to give up on the idea that there is a Satan, and a war between light and dark.  But, as with all humans, I hold to my understanding because I'm convinced it's true.

At the core, I think the most important point is that belief in spiritual beings, including Satan, is not a part of the core of Christian faith.  I know that a huge portion of our population, both those who believe Jesus and those who don't, are excluded by the fact that it is too often assumed that to find salvation in Jesus, I must believe in a Satan that he saves me from.  I find it vitally important as someone who frequently finds himself poised between such parties, to point out that this is not so.  Human salvation can readily be experienced whether or not Satan is real, just as evil is experienced by all whether or not we personify it in the form of demons.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 AM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Okay so I am going to play the devil's advocate...haha, I had to write that. It's interesting that you wrote on this now. I am reading a ton for an upcoming series I am doing on Evil. And one of the books I just finished is Evil and the Justice of God by N.T. Wright (great read by the way).
So here is my stuff... respond to it if you dare, Satan killer. From what I have read i.e. Brugegmann and Frietheim, they seem to think that the Jewish opposite of God is chaos, not the devil. And that the Satan is almost like an office in the heavenlies of the accuser. One that is personified in the gospels and defeated in the Revelation (here I see this as the removal of evil from a new Creation).
I am saying this to let you know my presuppositions for this. There are symptoms for evil that are hard to categorize for any worldview. I agree with so much of this, because the whole Western Christian thing has become enamored with the personified evil symptoms, demons, devils of Scripture and have let our desire for a kind of dualistic showdown take over. Scripture portrays the God of Israel as having all of the rivalry with the Satan as a hammer and a nail.
So my question is, what exactly is your view of evil then? It seems that there are more than just evil in the sense of loss of human dignity, i.e. Tsunami's or cancer. Is this even making sense? I really do want to know, but it may take more of a face to face conversation. Back porch...soon?

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

I am going to read Jonathans post in a second. I really do have a lot of thoughts that I dont know if I can get down. First of all, I like this line:
"but it's story is never so important as to be told. It is just an existential fact that there is evil that opposes God, but therefore the important thing is siding with God."
Some would say it dangerous to NOT give Satan credit...but I think, if you belive in a personified Satan, the healthier attitude may be like what you said above (Even though you were kind of talking about something different.)
When you say that having an understanding of the spiritual...or belief in that realm...isnt part of the core of Christian faith, I know what you mean...but I know what some would say and I dont know that I disagree with them. And, that is that more and more so if you dont belive in the spiritual realm and you dont teach your kids as well as yourself to do battle there, then there is no chance! everyone is going so "spiritual."
What do you say about that?
Also, I totally agree, I think, that human salvation can readily be experienced even if Satan isnt real. When you were talking about having to believe in a Satan who Jesus saves you from to be a Christian...it made me think of the difference betwn Jesus being ones Savior...and Jesus being ones Lord. I dont know. For me its not about just finding salvation in Jesus and therefore I have to believe in Satan (or not, as you say)...its that he is the truth, whether he saves me or not, maybe...because he is Lord. OK. Never mind. This makes no sense.
Good post.
And, I have said it before and Ill say it again. I think that professor is a rediculous man! (and its not because of what he thinks about Satan).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home