Saturday, June 28, 2008

coming of age . . . deferred

Existential crisis:  how am I not myself?

So, the other day my boss, who is slightly crazy yet I still respect her, took it upon herself to psychoanalyze me.  Her main points were as follows:
- I still haven't found myself
- I have no idea what I want to do with life
- I have commitment issues
- I think women are evil
- I cater too much to my parents
- I value my freedom above anything and everything and everybody

For a while now I have habitually avoided asking myself deep questions about myself.  I think this is due to a sort of rebellion against the relentless inwardness that serves as the core of evangelical Christian culture.  I've dealt with God knows how many years of being told that you have to dissect yourself at a "soul level" in order to sift the wheat from the chaff etc. etc.

I am fully convinced that this is crap.  I think it is an ideology that paralyzes people in a myopic spiritual narcissism that merely allows preachers to reign in their purity and maintain a salary.  So, I decided around a year ago to quit.  And, I've been floating along now for a year; sometimes I merely tolerate my life which isn't the one I've always dreamed of, and sometimes I've still found myself pleasantly content.  But, one thing I've noticed, I never feel stagnant, which I remember feeling constantly when I thought that I should aspire to constantly hold my soul under a magnifying glass.

I actually feel quite the opposite of stagnation, lately I've felt as though there is never enough time to reflect or consider.  I've felt that I am perpetually in motion even when I forget what that motion is taking me toward.  Basically busyness has occupied the void left in my life which was formerly dedicated to hours of wondering whether my intentions were of God or of the devil.

And so, in the middle of work the other day, when I should be diligently driving towards results in the holy cause of staying busy, my boss gives me her diagnosis, and it really threw me off.  I mean, I was really bothered by it, and couldn't get what she said off of my mind.  This unfortunately informs me that there must be some truth to what she said.  

So having given it some thought, here's what I think:
true, false, true, false, probly true, and true.

So, moving on.  I think I'm more and more of an anti-essentialist.  This presents me with a problem in the "search for myself" since I'm not really convinced there is a "me" out there waiting to be found . . . by me that is.  I really think we, and the communities we are part of, decide or create the people that we are.  So, for me, I feel it's less a matter of finding myself, and more a matter of deciding who I will be, which I find to be infinitely more challenging.  I would love to believe I could simply stumble upon my own essence, but unfortunately I feel pretty certain that Plato was full of crap.

I do know what I want in life.  Though the picture in my head is always a vague blur, I still feel certain about the big pieces of it.  I think that this is what should inform me of "finding" who I want to be, since that's actually part of the picture.

And, so, I've returned to a place in my life where I need to start asking tough question of myself.  The things we avoid are most often those which we most need to address.

I talked with a friend the other day about the odd concept of adulthood, which we are technically a part of, but only technically.  Both of us are over half way through our twenties and still found it odd to think of ourselves as being "a man" or "a woman".    I think maybe that's what my boss in all of her clairvoyance was getting at . . . I have a lot of growing up to do.  Not something that I haven't heard before, but maybe something that for the first time I agreed with upon hearing.

5 Comments:

At 12:03 AM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Hey dude, I really appreciate this post. A few times a year I go through this where I find something out about myself, or someone says something about me, and I go through a time of introspection. I think it's healthy on many levels, but it's always good to have community around you to let you know who you are as well. So I hope you find out who you are, and that you keep pursuing who you are created to be. But I like you even in the process.

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Nicolas Acosta said...

Maybe your boss took your blog title literally, and thought she was doing you a favor?

Anti-essentialism is probably always a good thing. One of my recent favorite thinkers, Jean-Luc Nancy, takes Sartre's "existence precedes essence" a step further, and says "existence is without essence". I find this liberating; it frees us up from even trying to secure an essence through our existence, which can easily become a neurotic way to live. Why can't we simply be, without always retrospectively trying to define it?

 
At 11:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw all y'all. I'm DA BOMB.

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

"So, for me, I feel it's less a matter of finding myself, and more a matter of deciding who I will be, which I find to be infinitely more challenging."

I like that.

That may actually help me understand a little better the whole your identity is in God or as Gods or whatever. I believe it but I dont exactly know how to apply it or how to explain it to someone else...or even what all it really means.

So, as you address things with yourself and decide who you are going to be and all that...take me a long for the ride, Joe.

Love

 
At 8:31 PM , Blogger A Little Thunder said...

Your blog is like reading a handful of letters addressed to us. Reading it I’m always thinking in new directions, mapping areas of my brain previously unexplored.

Face it Joe: we’re grown. We may never be more “grown” than we now are. I’m not saying we’ve little left to learn, but rather, if you were looking for a clear sign that we’ve arrived into adulthood, you’ve missed it in a crowd of obligations and anticlimactic episodes. It’s inevitable, and like trying to pull the brakes on an avalanche, it’s useless trying to stop it or pinpoint the cause. The clock’s big hand moves at an alarming rate.

Our bodies slump and wrinkle with age, evidence of youth lost. We’re beginning to blend with that comfortable class: the luxury seeking, slowly panicking majority.

In conversation yesterday I hear a story about a woman, in her late 40’s or early 50’s, calling to complain about recent customer service she received. A five minute tirade, peppered with derogatory language about leaving the doctor’s with the wrong pair of high–fashion sunglasses, convinces me that anyone can act like a child does. Anyone. Just because the date on a license might claim otherwise, no one is exempt from playing a fool. Our breakdowns loom under a surface of practiced courtesy and social mores, but given the chance...

We thought growing up meant liberation from all that bologna, but it simply isn’t the case. How embarassing. Tantrums and tempests, they grow right along with the toys we chase. Face it, being grown isn’t exactly what we expected. We’re all here.

Maybe all of us except Marcos.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home