Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Historical Jesus

The first time I heard of J.D. Crossan his name was said pejoratively.  Crossan for those who are not aware is known as the ring-leader of The Jesus Seminar.  When I was a clueless freshman studying the Bible, I was alerted toward the end of my freshman year about this wolf in sheep's clothing, who was devouring the faith of many-a-good hearted theology student.

We spent many weeks learning the proper apologetics to safeguard our faith against this man's tactics to steal our salvation.

So, now, years later, I decided it would be the smart thing to do to actually read his book.  Outlandish idea I know.  I can't really say I approached it with the ready-made polemic I was endowed with back in 2000, and I must admit that in doing so I've seen the reason we were so heavily forewarned:  he knows what he's talking about.

I don't think I plan on getting any posters of him for my room, and I certainly wouldn't put him on par with Kung (as though it's really fair to compare a theologian with a archeological historian), but I like the guy.  I'm about half way through his book, which is rather thick.  So far he doesn't strike me as a bad person or someone who has it in mind to destroy Christianity.  He does strike me as someone who is very well educated and really just wants to give an adequate explanation for the socio-cultural context which Jesus was born in and shaped by.

This might be further evidence amassing to an indictment that I have lost my faith, though I don't really think I have.  Still, if so, losing faith is fairly anti-climactic.  It's not near the catastrophe I had thought it would be.

Soon, I might write a blog about what I actually do believe at this point (to attempt to stick with the effort to avoid negative definition identity).

Anyway, I recommend Crossan.  It's a little boring at points, as all good non-fiction is, but enlightening for those who can manage.  If you've been trained to equate all Jesus Seminar affiliates with the incarnation of Satan, don't believe the hype.

Amen.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM , Blogger A Little Thunder said...

oh no Joe!

*actually, i appreciate a challenge too. that's why i trudge through the harry potter books.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home