Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Jesus needed the bar all to himself . . .

After work tonight me and a few friends decided to go to happy hour at a local bar.  These are work friends who care nothing for religion and are self-professed agnostics leaning toward atheism.  We arrive at the bar only to find out that we had 30 minutes before we would be evicted from the only open seating area because it was reserved . . . by a church.  

Now, I've been a part of evangelical culture for most of my life, I'm a former missions major, but even in my most fundy-friendly times I would have said loudly what I'm about to say:

What a dumbass idea!!!

If you think you're message is something people need to hear, then go to where those people are, start up a relationship, and talk about it.  But don't effing kick them out of the bar, so you and your "progressive" Christian friends can feel cool sipping beer and talking theology over a loudspeaker.

So thank you Uptown Church for driving out all other patrons in the name of Jesus, so you could chat about outdated theology to a crowd that you filtered to make sure they would already believe what you were saying.  

They titled the thing "Ale and the Almighty".  wtf?

4 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

i'm glad i saw this.

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger Bad Brad said...

Joe, I agree. This really made my day reading this.

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger Jonathan Storment said...

Why didn't you stay behind? Did they make it exclusive, like only their people were able to come? Or was it open to everyone?
That's weird Joe, that never happened on Cheers.

 
At 11:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about this for days. Who does that? What were they thinking? I'm so confused where "go to all the nations" and "be all things to all men" became "check me out in my edgy godless church."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home