Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trenches

There are moments where I stare at a table upon which I am studying with books and other implements of learning strewn about, and ponder imaginary battles.  As a kid, it would have been tiny men of the G.I. Joe variety, going to war.  After all, it's common knowledge that all man-like entities less than one twentieth the normal human size have an insatiable appetite for war.  As any male five year old could inform you.

I stare at books forming walls, and trenches down their crease.  Spiral notebooks form hazardous razor wire.  Pens and pencils are unexploded missiles.  It's a treacherous environment.  

Alas, the days where one could envision miniature humans fighting battles, almost as pointless as those which full-scale humans engage in, are past.  As I am thrust into the world of "maturity" I no longer find myself at the helm of a vast army, but now I watch as ideas wage a war for my mind.  This week, Trigonometry has declared war on Chemistry (of the general variety), and Analytic Philosophy is terrorizing Anatomy and Physiology the Second.  Meanwhile Religious Studies and Phenomenology among others suffer brutal oppression in the midst of this endless cycle of violence . . . and sleep deprivation.  It's a cruel world that we live in people.  And by "we", I mean "I".  Of course.  

I say this from the trench (which also happens to be the crease of my chemistry textbook, coincidentally) which I am currently face down in, as the Battle of Triangular Atoms rages in my head.  This, for those unfamiliar with Fall '08 history, is where the The Valence Electron Battalion of chapter 8, made a valiant but ultimately vain attempt to defeat the Cartesian Coordinate Brigade of Le Trigonometre's chapter 2.  

(I know, I know, there is no way to make this interesting . . . I'm trying.  I was hoping the application of a narrative would make my life more interesting . . . how foolish!  Yet, the blog goes on!!)

Quite the toll such battles can take.  Moonscapes are made of what was formerly referred to as a social life.  The great war for the mind has cataclysmic effects . . . ok, ok, detrimental effects on blood pressure, as well as compromising the long term viability of one's own sanity.  Vast fields of lovely hair now thinning and being infiltrated with gray.  

. . . Yeah, anyway.  So, it's not that bad, really, . . just ridiculous when every subject presumes to be your only subject.

denouement:

Moving on, life is good, and boring, . . . and busy, . . 
-  I plan to get in better shape this fall, which possibly includes the following:
-  quitting or, more likely, drastically reducing coffee intake
-  running, swimming, or biking more
-  eating better, whatever that means
-  I feel, actually, that my life is starting to gain some steam, in terms of the whole directionality sort of thing.  I'm about to the point where I can really focus intently on med. school stuff.  . . . I can see the crest of the hill,  i guess would be a good way to say it.
-  I'm on a break from church right now, which seems to be a good thing.
-  And, I'm going to lunch.


the end.

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

lunch sounds good even tho ive already had it. and, are you really getting gray hair?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home