Wednesday, August 06, 2008

connect the dots . . .

I have a friend who is teaching me Chinese.  At the rate I'm learning I'll be fluent in approximately 96 years.  I think I pick up about 2 new words a day, which I think amounts to 0.02% the rate at which small children can acquire new vocabularies.

Most Asian people, upon moving to the States, choose an "American" name, since Americans lack the capacity to pronounce unfamiliar names which require tonal precision.  Supposedly some Americans who dare venture to Asia to live do the same, adopting a non-alien name.  

The other day I learned the equivalent of my name in Chinese, and since I'm tonally retarded I immediately forgot it.  Evidently I could just stick with Joe, which, to my paltry knowledge, has two possible meanings:

1) Alcohol
2) Bridge

But which to choose!?!  

I had an interesting talk with some coworkers today.  We were discussing racism.  A few of them, being from other cultures, were telling me their first hand experiences.  We were also discussing our different religious backgrounds and how hard it is to really communicate with each other.  For years now I've been interested in inter-religious dialogue, but have been disheartened by how difficult it is to find adherents of other religions who aren't equally as close-minded as those of my own faith that I'd like to get away from.   My coworkers informed me of how asinine most public opinion of their respective faiths is.  

Supposedly we're all out to kill each other; at least that's what the media tells us.  I think part of the problem is that many of the dialogue friendly people don't actually attend religious gatherings.  All the sensible voices out there are too isolated to be heard.

I hate thinking that we're all xenophobic by default.
I'd like to be a bridge, but damn it can be hard.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger dallasjg said...

my suggestion then...quit trying to be a bridge and just stick with alcohol.

 
At 11:18 AM , Blogger Joe said...

. . angelic choirs sing as the guru speaks . .

 
At 1:38 PM , Blogger KSullie said...

be a bridge! be a bridge!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home